Journal Entry 13: YoungStars Growing Up
The past month the YoungStars have had their share of challenges, but there have been a number of highlights too. One in particular was having the field leveled by a construction company that is building a road through town. While Chris, the manager of the crew, was tremendous in helping us - um, lets just say I don’t he’s had too much exposure with blacks outside of work, which resulted in a few of the most awkward pictures ever taken when some of our players showed up to rejoice in his handiwork:

Chris with the boys!

Our players; future Vanna Whites of South Africa. ...can you spot Waldo?
Hopefully, we’ll organize a game between out under 19s and his workers. Thanks, Chris!
As for our season, the team remains undefeated at 1 win and two draws! Our first game, we went up 1-0, then 2-1 but both times we let the other team come back. We’ve since changed our formation from a 3-4-3 to a 4-4-2. While the boys are more accustomed to the offensively minded 3-4-3, I thought the system, on the whole, left the team unbalanced. I’d even like to play a 4-5-1, but maybe that’s pushing my luck.
The second game we won by forfeit and the third we played yesterday - it was a helluva game!
The ride over was so much fun - mayhem as art - and gratifying too; after tireless hunting, we found an 11th hour taxi and donation (about 16 dollars) that allowed us to go. The kids were SO excited. While the driver blared the music up two decibals below infinity, the kids sang and whistled - which they’re very good at; it's a byproduct of herding cattle - and dancing in the packed taxi. One of the boys brought a plastic trumpet and alerted each town we drove through that the Tshikwarani YoungStars had arrived.

Ofhi, who's about as dangerous as his name, poses while the party rages in back.
It reminded me of when I escorted my high school team to Europe after college; as our team congealed in the ride over, a certain dynamic emerged that made me feel like a kid again.
[As an aside, in South Africa soccer is a “black” sport; other teams are not used to seeing a white person at the game, let alone coaching the opposing team. Each time the other team see me, I’m reminded of this scene from the first Lord of the Rings movie. The good guys are fighting all these goblins and, out of nowhere, this monstrous creature barges into the battle. Astonished one of our hero’s turns and mutters towards the camera, “They have a cave troll.” Not knowing what to make of me, it’s as if I can hear the other team say in astonished resignation, “They have a white person.”]

Another day at the office; the teams meet before the game.
When we finally arrived at the field, the mood changed. This was the number one team in the league; they had scored almost 50 goals in their 5 games (while we had only played 2), beating one team 27-0. Untested, our boys were nervous; the atmosphere felt like the Bad News Bears going to play the New York Yankees.

Ofhi in red, again posing, while our other substitutes are over joyed to see my camera. Happy days!
The scoring got off to a quick start with the opposing team netting a quick goal. There was a palpable groan from our side, fearing the other team's prediction of a 23-0 score line may come true. But we found the equalizer in the next 5 minutes. The remainder of the first half was pretty tepid. Both teams were still feeling each other out and while they seemed content to have the run of the play, but nothing more, we were busy finding our playing legs.
The half time speech basically was: don’t be scared. Our only player not to concede anything because of the other team’s laurels was Fedzi (he's the one holding up the cleat in the far right of the picture in the taxi). I was proud to see his resilience. Fedzi, who can often play the role of comedian during practice, set the example.
In the second half, you could see our confidence begin to grow. The boys began to control the ball through the midfield and to win tackles all over the field. Our center fullback, who’s awesome getting to the ball but unpredictable once there, was exemplary. He won tackles, collected loose balls and filled holes when they appeared. We even began to string together some sustained attacks and had a number of opportunities to score. We started to look the other team in the eye.
Just as we did with ten minutes remaining, they’re unnaturally large center forward collected the ball from 20 yards out and hit a great volley into the back of our net. Son of a bitch!
After 80 minutes on the pitch, legs get tired. I was impressed with the way my team played, but I thought our best soccer was behind us.
Two minutes later, out of nowhere, our center midfielder played a ball through a seem in their defense as our left half, Tshimbi, streaked forward. A defender from the weak side chased him down as the goalkeeper came quick off his line. Just inside the 18-yard box their defender nudged Tshimbi into the path of their onrushing goalkeeper resulting in a chilling THUD! Tshimbi fell to the ground and the goalkeeper with him, but not before he had gotten a toe to the ball. It curled around the keeper and found it’s way into the back of the net!
Tshimbi, who’s still a bit green, instinctively sprung to his feet and began running back towards our half, despite the bleeding from his mouth. I think he was in a bit of shock from the whole thing. When he finally sat down at our urging just before half field, the other team was furious. They ran and stood over him, yelling at the ref to give him a yellow card for delaying the game. …so that was the first time, as a coach, I almost got in a fight.
Yeash! I was so incensed with the other team’s arrogance. But, thankfully, something inside me kept it’s cool. Besides, it’s probably not part of my mandate as a Peace Corps Volunteer to kick ass. But I’m going to double check my Peace Corps handbook to see if I missed that clause. “Help develop community, build international relationships, and throw down when necessary.” I mean, what would Chuck Norris do?!
Tshimbi turned out to be okay, but the pressure was on. The other team came at us with a vengeance! We bent but we didn’t break, and on a counter attack we hit the post (and really should have scored). At the end of the day, we walked away from playing the number one team in the league with a draw.
So… excitement aside, I was so proud of our boys. I always thought it was cliché, but these kids, so many of them who have so little, left that field with more than when they arrived. They walked with their heads held high and, maybe for the first time for some of them, in that moment they allowed to think of themselves as champions.
The road will ramble on from here; for the team, for the boys and for me. But, if I left tomorrow, I’ll leave knowing we accomplished something today. Which makes me feel happy. And Alu, too:

Aluwani changing after the game. ...Yes yes, I know it's scandalous! But it's so wrong, it's right.


1 Comments:
your play-by-play is wonderful to read, and I love that you throw things like 4-4-2 and 3-4-3 into the text with the assumption that all who would read your blog willl understand what that means. I don't think there's anything better for an individual and a community to work hard together towards something and feel accomplished. Your boys are receiving a great gift from you. You are a great gift.
10:20 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home