My Peace Corps, South Africa web log.

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Journal Entry 10: One Month in Venda

I had my first solicitation today. A young girl from the village stopped and asked me where I'm from. “Oh, America!” she responded. “I love you. You're beautiful. How do you feel about me?” Hmph. Apparently they're not big on foreplay in South Africa.

The first month in Venda has been, on the whole, pretty awesome. It has been surprising how many places my abilities have naturally met the needs of the community. For instance, I was going down to the soccer field (read: uneven expanse of dirt surrounded by thorn bushes with two inch needles where games are punctuated by passing cattle herds that go poo on the field; I have literally dribbled a cow) to play “bola” and, next thing I know we’ve setup TWO soccer teams, an under 14 side and under 19. There has also been a steady flow of students coming over to my house for help with English and maths (not math) and my sisters and I are looking into creating a girls group. Things are just springing up.

Which isn't to say I haven't had my challenges. As testament by this journal entry from a few days back:


I've been tutoring some 9th grade girls in “maths”. They're actually outside right now. I know I'm supposed to be compassionate and all, but sometimes I get so fucking frustrated. Each step in explaining something to them is agonizing. A moment ago I felt like I was Alex Trebec on SNL Jeopardy; after I wrote the equation for the circumference of a circle, one girl answered the question “What is the equation for the circumference of a circle?” by writing the word 'Circumference'.

Yesterday, while I was teaching them how to convert from one unit to another (ie. centimeters to kilometers) we had a 45 minute digression explaining how to divide by factors of 10. Moving the decimal point was unbelievably challenging. When they would move the decimal they wouldn't move it between the numbers, they would move it under the numbers. What the hell is that!?!


Hey, did I say I was perfect!?

But, overall, things have been going well. Especially with the work I've been doing in the schools. The first month I've kept something of a low profile, focusing on assessing the schools and not working to change anything. To that end, I made a teacher questionnaire which I distributed to all 39 of my teachers at the four schools. After they filled it out, I interviewed 38 of them (one was sick every time I came to school), collected the data, pulled it together and, for the past week, I have been given presentation at two of the schools. This week I'll do the next two. It's been fun.

I printed pictures of all the teachers and put them with their questionnaire - they love seeing pictures of themselves; human beings really are not all that different. For each school, I pasted the teacher’s questionnaires on a large sheet of paper; the Vhangani school, which is twice as big as the other three, needed two sheets. I began the presentations by hanging the sheets up in a classroom like an art exhibit so the teachers got to see what their colleagues said.

One of the questions I asked all the teachers was “What are the three largest challenges facing your school?” I want to share with you my findings. It may give you a better understanding of what's in front of me, what I've done and what I may be doing in the future. So, here's a look at the assessment I compiled, in blog format. It begins with a brief look of my four schools by the numbers. As for the challenges, I treated resources (ie. new classrooms, better water supply, new desk and chairs) separately, as we may be able to setup committees to work on getting resources on a separate track form the other challenges. Here goes:



School Assessment

School: Mashaa (R-4)
Students: 220
Teachers: 7
Ratio: 31.4

School: Masia (5-7)
Students: 260
Teachers: 8
Ratio: 32.5

School: Munwai (R-6, will be 7)
Students: 233
Teachers: 8
Ratio: 29.1

School: Vhangani (R-7)
Students: 550
Teachers: 16
Ratio: 34.4


1.RNCS/OBE: Teachers are still confused about how to incorporate OBE (Outcomes Based Education) into their teaching style and use RNCS (Revised National Curriculum Statement). Teachers asked for help creating Learning Programmes, Work Studies and Lessons Plans. Teachers said training was insufficient and that the trainers giving the workshop did not understand the material.

While teachers are confused about the material, they are eager to learn it. Two teachers are taking courses on OBE and RNCS at the University of Venda.

2. Poverty: Teachers stated that many local parents are poor. They do not have money to pay school fees (though the government is setting up vouchers). Their children come to school without adequate resources: pens, clean clothing, shoes, etc. Many learners come to school malnourished and cannot concentrate (b/c they have not eaten enough food at home). Furthermore, because they are poor many parents are uneducated and illiterate themselves.

3. Parental Involvement: Teachers stated that many parents are not involved in their children's education, or involved with the school. Learners then do not see the importance of their education and may become a disruption in the class. Many parents are poor, uneducated and illiterate themselves; many do not see the importance of education or think that, b/c they are uneducated, their children won't become educated. Many parents do not read to their children or check/ask if they have done their homework. When parents are asked to attend school meetings many do not attend.

4. HIV/AIDS Education and Affects: While many teachers are educating their learners about HIV/AIDS, the schools do not have a standardized curriculum. Many teachers talk about HIV/AIDS but are unsure when to discuss the sexual aspect of the disease. As a result, one teacher pointed out that once safe sex is discussed in the older grades, many students laugh or look away because they are engaging in the behavior that the teacher is discouraging: ie., unsafe sex, multiple partners, etc. Some teachers also mentioned that HIV/AIDS has affected all our lives killing friends, family, community members, teachers and learners.

5. Classroom Discipline: Teachers stated disciplining students is difficult, especially with the introduction of OBE and removal of corporal punishment. Teachers also mentioned that it is difficult to discipline a child without support from their learners home; if the teacher calls a meeting with the learners parents, often the parents do not come.

6. Teaching Materials: Teachers do not have enough books to teach their classes. Often have to place a book at the front of the room and have the learners copy the lesson.

7. IQMS: Teachers and administrators said implementing IQMS (Integrated Quality Management System) the first year has been a challenge. Schools have been struggling to find time to review their piers, meet with the DSG, etc.

8. Orphaned Children: Teachers - especially at the Vhangani school - mentioned that some learners have lost both parents. Others have lost one parent, or one or both parents are working away from home, often in Gauteng. Many learners are being raised by grandparents or other family members.

9. Slower Learners: Some teachers mentioned it is difficult to teach slower learners in regular classes. Some have learning disabilities and can not keep up with the other learners. These kids are pushed through the grades, despite not understanding the material.

RESOURCES: Administration Block, Athletic Equipment, Athletic Fields, Chairs, Chalkboards, Classrooms, Computers, Desks, Other Furniture (cupboards, etc.), Garden (fruits & vegies to feed learners), Sanitation (toilets), Science Lab, Supplies (ie. staplers, tape, etc.), Teaching Aids, Telephone, Water Supply

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home