Journal Entry 7: Moletsi In Pictures 2

Adam, who together with Matt, Cort Jesse and I tuned up about 80 bicycles, peruses a periodical while Kelsey engages in some deep Vipassana meditation. ...Don't be scared of the light.

Mr. Steffen, we're ready for your close up. Riding with Michelle in the back of the khumbi. ...and you know what happens in the back of the khumbi!

Riding with Pat and Brit in the back of the khumbi. ...and you know what happens in the back of the khumbi!

Riding with South Africans in the khumbi. ...and you know what happens in the khumbi!

Hanging out at the Braai...

...where Phillamon inspects the dull swiss army knife...

...and kills the chicken.

Bottoms up!

Ri funa nnama! Jeff and Ahni supervise.

A classic Moletsi pass time - donkey racing. Hossam pulls ahead while Andrew taunts his opponents!

...but we're all friends.

Nice ass. es.
Moletsi Says Goodbye

A troupe of young girls enters the tribal council and electrifies the crowd. They were awesome!

Get down! I have a video of this that plays on QuickTime Player. It is so cool! If you want to watch it let me know. I'll try to get it to you.

Oh snap! What's this!?! A rival girl’s choir (Jets) comes snapping into the tribal council while the original choir (Sharks) stare them down! Looks like we're going to have to have a good ole' fashion sing-off!

"Hands up! ...Baby, hands up! Gimme your heart, gimme, gimme your heart!"

Amanda dazzles the crowd. Note the little girl in the pink sweater next to the choir. That's my little sister, Rejoice. She was running across the divide to come sing to me the whole afternoon. This, after she wouldn't talk to me the first three days I arrived in Moletsi. Adorable. I'll miss her.

Caitlin ...with a corpse! Or her sleeping brother. ...What!?! What! I keed!

Some fine PCV's.

Omar - with myself and Nichole - feeling a little loopy. Does it have anything to do with that thumb in your butt, hm?

I keed! I keed! The three of us looking a little more normal.

I think Rejoice ate a balloon. I mean seriously, what is going on with her tummy here!?
The Family

Braaing with Tschegofatso (in yellow) and Benny.

You know He is!

Rejoice is glowing! Look at that smile! Ah, I love it! Gloria, Refentse and Tshego, too.

With my boyz!

Is it me or does Boitumelo look a bit like Usher? Cute kid.

Technology comes to Moletsi. The last few days I showed the kids my laptop. Hopefully one day they'll have the resources to compete for high end jobs with Westerners.

Ah! We've seen a ghost! ...lounging on my pink polyester bed.

I will miss these guys.

Time To Leave Dodge

Tswarelo, Emily's younger brother and my friend, says goodbye. In his satin boxers - luscious!

Waiting to depart Moletsi before dawn. ...Why, pardon me sir, that's doesn't happen to be a machete behind your back, is it? “Why yes. Yes it is.”

Tom's tie is sewn onto his t-shirt. Classy.

Andrew exposes the ferret, in dire need of some manscaping while Omar keeps it real. Check out that six pack! ...what do you mean “What six pack?”

GQ fashion shoot, South Africa.

My heart goes out to the women of Moletsi.

The sun rises over the savanna in front of my house.

Bustin' a move.

Finally, the Peace Corps khumbi arrives. Time to bid Moletsi a fond adieu.

Sweet dreams.


3 Comments:
Your photos are wonderful! The commentary is okay too ;) I look forward to checking out your blog each month!
12:40 PM
I love the commentary...and the photos are heartwarming....keep them up...love Carol
8:40 AM
the last picture is so beautiful. captures you perfectly -- BS
11:05 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home