My Peace Corps, South Africa web log.

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Journal Entry 5: Andrew's Post 1

Andrew was the first volunteer I really got to know. We roomed together in Philadelphia for two days before heading to Africa. Then we stayed across the hall from each other while in Moktapani and lived a few houses apart in Moletsi. Maybe the god's conspired to bring us together? We've ridden bikes - African style - together (I'm Ace, he's Gary – see Moletsi in Pictures 1), gone rock climbing, raced donkey carts (see Moletsi in Pictures 2) and gotten up at the break of dawn to go running. I can categorically say, Andrew is the awesome. He feels very much like a brother to me ...but I think he has, like, ten at home so maybe it just comes naturally to him. Regardless, when you're many thousands of miles away from home, you come to value your friends, and I appreciate his friendship a lot. Before I gush out of your computer, I think it's time for Andrew to weigh in:

---------------------------------------
Peace Corps, another PCT perspective: Early this morning as I was jogging alongside Eric, he asked me if I would offer my perspective on my Peace Corps experience to this point. So, thinking back, I want to start with our training in Moktapani. The five or so days spent there were a great time for bonding with other PCT's and with some of the training staff. We were literally staying at a fenced compound, so we had nowhere to go but to each other.

It was at Moktapani that we were formally introduced to the culture and history of South Africa. Our days were usually filled with various language/culture activities, safety and security briefings(of course), and additional workshops/skits performed by current Peace Corps Volunteers(PCV's). In all, I'd have to say my favorite part of my stay was the evening games of soccer or frisbee or maybe meal times when all the trainees were brought together and could discuss the days happenings. Oh, the sunsets were fantastic and right up there with my other favorites. Moving on...from Moktapani to Moletsi....

Moletsi: My first night in Moletjie was interesting as my homestay mother was not present to collect me. So, I was feeling a bit unwanted as most of the other trainees were departing with their homestay families and I was left wondering if I had a home. By 9pm, some other volunteers and myself were loaded into a Peace Corps Khumbi (van) and enjoyed a very interesting hour long journey through Moletsi.

We were being escorted by a man named Gotlip or Gotlib, I can't decide. Gotlib reminded most of us of Dave Chappel from the U.S. Anyhow, he is no longer with us as our logistician. Between many miscommunications and other fiascos, he seemed to receive the blame and is now no longer with Peace Corps. I personally miss him as I enjoyed his sarcasm and sense of humor. Lawrence, who was our language and cross-culture trainer, is no longer with us. He was released alongside Gotlib. I also enjoyed him and hope he is well. I think their departures are part of the “adjustment”of having an entirely new PC trainings staff. So, enough about PC staff, I want to mention my family and some personal experiences...

Homestay Family: I am living with my homestay mom. Her name is Patricia Manyeka. I also have a homestay father(Samuel) and four brothers here: Jeffrey, Jefta, Mathew, and Gotfried. Of the brothers, I have gotten to know Jefta and Mathew. I have gotten somewhat close with Mathew. They have been a great support for me as I come from a large family of seven, which includes 4 brothers and myself. Mathew generally comes into my room at night and talks with me for about an hour or so. Both him and Jefta have been great to me and have treated me like one of their brothers. I will miss them when I go to my permanent site but hopefully they can come visit.

The relationship I have with my mother is a bit different. She is a nice lady(most of the time) who looks after me like a protective mother would. It's an interesting dynamic as I'm 25 now and as an American, I had grown accustomed to living by myself and taking care of myself. Here, it is necessary to ask permission to leave the house at night and to be home before dark. This is in part due to South Africa being a high-crime haven, and I think our homestay families feel that they must protect us as they would their children. I'm okay with it and I realize that my mother's intentions are well. So, overall, we have a good relationship, I think. I'd like to get her perspective here, but that'll have to wait.

Other Experiences: My experience here in Moletsi has been interesting. I really have come to love the children of this village. Regardless of the type of day you've had, they are always waiting at or near my gate with huge smiles on their faces. [I teasingly call Andrew my PR rep when we're walking or biking together – he's so quick and consistent in saying hello to the kids, I don't have to do any work.] I have really enjoyed kicking an old soccer ball around with them.

One night, five or so of them came over and sung some beautiful songs to me. I think other volunteers can attest that South Africans have the most wonderful voices. These children somehow have the ability to lift my spririt even after a long day of language and workshops. They are incredibly respectful as well with my belongings and with my time. If I need time to myself, I just tell them that I need to study inside and they depart with a smile. I tell them, “hi ta vonana mundzuku” which means see you tomorrow in Tsonga (the particular language I'm learning.)

By now, many of them have come to know my name and as I pass by on bicycle or by foot, they yell my name. It's a great feeling. Eric has referred to me as the PR person as I enjoy greeting the village locals. Part of it is that I really enjoy saying hello to everyone, the other part is that it's just part of their culture and I enjoy fitting in sometimes. I will really miss the children in Moletsi, but I have come to believe that the children all across South Africa will have a similar effect on me.

There are so many young children in South Africa, which is great because one of my passions in life is working with young children as they are the future. We can correct our past mistakes by changing the future through our children. I see them as hope in a time when it seems little hope is available. Maybe it's just my way of staying happy on a daily basis. We each have our own way I suppose...but enough of that.

I wanted to talk a bit about my permanent site before I wrap things up for now. The village I will be staying at for 2 years is called Agincourt. It is located near the southern portion of Kruger National Park. I talked about having a passion for children, but I also have a passion for the outdoors, including animals. Kruger Park is supposedly one of South Africa's greatest assets. I'm extremely excited about this.

I'm also excited that I will be surrounded by 9 or 10 other volunteers assuming we all make it beyond trainee status. The group we have here is great collection of personalities, so I'm looking forward to visiting other volunteers in the future. Hopefully I can convince some of them to visit me in Agincourt, as it is a wonderful village. On my first site visit, the people were ecstatic about having me as a volunteer. My host father did a wonderful job of showing me around the community and really just taking me under his wing like a true father would. I am grateful for that and look forward to building relationships with my permanent family, which also includes my host mother Maria Chawane, sister Rirandzu and brother Vutlarhi. From my initial impressions, they seem like a wonderful family, I look forward to writing more about them in the future.

Until then, I have about 2 more weeks in Moletsi before this journey truly begins. I'm excited and anxious of course as I have many ideas about what I want to accomplish. I just want to make sure that my ideas and expectations are realistic given the economic and social conditions. I think for me personally, the biggest challenge is just having the confidence to accomplish everything I want to accomplish. I think all of the volunteers, including myself, will begin to discover who we really are and maybe even what it is we want from life. I'm looking forward to this opportunity of personal growth.

Note: if any readers wants clarification or to ask questions about what I wrote, please e-mail me at andrewgoiu@yahoo.com. THANKS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home