My Peace Corps, South Africa web log.

Monday, July 11, 2005

Pre-Departure: Baja [June 23 - July 3, 2005]

Scratch a surf vacation off the pre-departure to do list - Aaron, Tim and I headed to Baja Mexico for a long week of flat-boarding. The first 5 days the surf was up with a gentle swell coming in from the south. Then, nothing - and we traversed a good thousand miles up the pacific coast looking for waves.

The pacific side of Baja was warm and blustery during the day and cool at night, while the east coast of Baja bordering the Sea of Cortez was muy caliente. We named that portion of our trip, "Uno Grande Mistake". The good news, however: you can find some of the best fish tacos (aka: gringo's delight) all over the peninsula. Enjoy the pictures.

















Shipwrecks. Pure potential.












A closer look. It was eerie surfing next to the ship. From the ocean side where the break starts, you can see right into the hull of the disgorged ship. But the gentle waves and lack of hidden rocks put our minds at rest. ...Anyone seen One Eyed Willy?








Left to right: me, Tim and Aaron.













Our serendipitous desert friend and Baja veteran, Rusty. Backed up by his truck who, like J Lo's booty, just won't quit and man's second best friend, his board. Keep on truckin', Rusty!
















Aaron does the ole' "Unabomber Hitchiking in Baja" impersonation.















Lavame means "wash me" en espanol.













Aaron and Tim take a stroll through town. They make a nice couple. I was rooting for them all trip long.





















The Sea of Cortez was really, really great... for me to poop on.













Aaron provides his expert opinion...













...while I try to cool off by laying in the shade and holding my balls. Now that's hot!

















Settling in.













Hot, though it was, the scenery was beautiful, as were the bioluminescence in the sea at night.











Sunset in the desert.






















Timmy keepin' it real.





















I brought another long-term project with me: forever a beginner, right?





















Aaron, clearly a warrior in a past lifetime, challenges the Seussian cactus to a dual!





















Having vanquished his foe, he doesn't hide his contempt for the cactus' poor kung fu skills. "No arms!? That is NO excuse!"
















Our boards nestled between the tents.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the pictures, please keep posting more.

Love,
Your Momma

ps - please remove the picture with your hands in your pants.

1:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, this blog is so deep and informative. Maybe you win a Pulitzer Prize- in crap! I keed, I keed...

2:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great pictures eric--particularly the one of me!

Rusty

9:32 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't know what to say about someone I haven't seen in years, but just read about their whole (recent) life. Gotta say...great photos! And the commentary was pretty good too ;P I will be checking your blog often.

3:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home