My Peace Corps, South Africa web log.

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

That's All Folks

It's good to be home.

After almost 3 years in rural South Africa, I touched down in New York’s JFK Airport on Monday, March 17th. The most common question I've received since being back is, "Is it difficult to be back?" The answer is, "No, not really." However, it was disconcerting to see so many white people in London’s Gatwick airport, and they were all walking so quickly! Is everyone in the developed world late for something? I don’t know. But having a car to drive, a home with cultural rules I understand and yummy food in the fridge isn't too terrible.

I think that my relatively easy transition back to American life is because of my time in Nepal. During college I spent a semester there. Returning from the relative poverty of Nepal back to the relative affluence of America, I was forced to confront the fact that the world isn’t fair. Once you’ve really seen that, it’s not particularly shocking to see it again. No matter what continent you’re returning from.

In many ways, my time in Africa was a continuation and completion of my time in Nepal. Despite the various projects I initiated or helped develop, for the most part I was still learning. Maybe that period of learning is over, and when I find myself abroad in the future my goals will be more specific. I don't know.

In any case, my last few weeks in Venda were fantastic. Even, Thikho, my temperamental yet adorable little brother, was always kind to me. I’m going to miss Venda. The kids. Helping at school. Singing in church. Playing soccer with the boys. Walking home from school with the girls. Walking dirt roads. Greeting grannies. Eating mangoes off the trees. The night sky. All of it. …I already do. What a great time it was.

But now that I’m home, my attention must turn towards the future. I got into my first choice of graduate schools: Columbia's School of International and Public Affairs. So come the fall I should be somewhere in New York City - the fast walking capital of the world.

Until then I’ll be traveling a bit, going to some weddings and trying to make it to Latin America to learn some Spanish. Too bad America’s second language isn’t Venda. *sigh*

Anyways, thanks for stopping by and checking out my blog. It was a fantastic adventure. I hope I’ve been able to share a bit of it with you. Murena vha do ni fhathushedza. Ri khou livuwa nga maande.

And now, I think it’s time to shut this thing down.

Peace,
Eric

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Eric,

Thank you so much for keeping this blog man. As you probably know I've read (and more often than not re-read) every post you've put up. Hope to see you around! :)

-Chris in SF

3:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home