Water, Water Everywhere
Thanks to contributions from friends, family, and corporate donors, the Water and Garden project at the Mashaa Junior Primary School was completed this past July. We drilled a well, installed a .56-kiloWatt pump, and erected two 4.5-meter stands that were each fitted with a 5000-liter tank. (See pictures below.)
The project has been a resounding success.
Not only is there plenty of water to feed the students, but the principal (my host father) planted a small garden that’s already made over 1,000 Rand (about $150) selling cabbages and tomatoes. As we prepare for the next crop, maize, the school has ploughed land that’s ten-times the size of the original garden.
A second school I work with, the Masia Senior Primary School across the street, asked if I would help them build a well too.
The project is now fully funded. I'll be sending out thank you cards as soon as I get a list of the donors. Thank you to everyone who contributed!
I hope you enjoy the pictures of the old project and are part of the new on!
Thanks,
- Eric

The drilling rig shows up at the Mashaa Junior Primary School.

The school's principal (who's also my host father) waits for the project to be completed. The old unreliable government spigot is in the foreground.

A soil sample was taken every meter. We struck water remarkably quickly at 16 meters. The workers found the underground river via a high-tech instrument: a long stick.

Raising the tank stand. This was a precarious process!

My host father beams - water!

Thanks! From all of us!


1 Comments:
Hey Eric!
I read the article Dan Woog wrote on you in the Westport News. Wow, you've really been keeping yourself busy. I just want to say that the work you are doing is awesome and really empowering. By the way, this is Stephanie Kermoal, Staples Class of 96.
11:15 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home